Monday, October 24, 2005

London

So I have spent the last few weekends (or at least part of weekends) in London catching up with friends.

First off Pat and I went and saw Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman on friday the 7th. It was a pretty good play actually (I did not know anything about it before I went in). Although the acting left a bit to be desired, it was still not that bad. This was also Pat's last night in the UK. He was heading off to India for a couple of weeks before going back to Oz. So it was good to catch up with him.

The next weekend (15th/16th) I went up to catch up with Caroline and David. They were staying at a mates place in Kensington, so I booked a hotel room near by for saturday night. David was lucky enough to score tickets to the Chelsea match on that day (although I am sure he would have preferred an Arsenal match). So Caroline and I hung around Kensington, went to a few shops and then Wagamama's for lunch (first time I have been there and it is fantastic!). That night we headed to a few bars but David did not have the stamina (I guess drinking all day at the footy will do that to you, so we had an early-ish night).

The next weekend I went up on the sunday to see Caroline and David for one last time before they headed back to Oz. Because of track work I drove to Basingstoke and then jumped on the train. Unfortunately there was a problem at Woking, so they got us off the train and were going to bus us the rest of the way. As we were waiting for the bus the conductors told us to go back in and jump on the train going to Guildford, we would head into London a different way. So thirty minutes later a full train arrived at Guildford to the confusion of the platform staff. It turns out there was no special train to take us the rest of the way into London. Forty-five minutes later we were told to jump on the train and head back to Woking and then into London. Needless to say I was not happy.

By the time I arrived in Kensington we only had time to head out for lunch (which was delicious). We then all headed back to Waterloo (Caroline and David were going to Guildford to visit David's brother) and I headed back to Southampton.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing Arsenal would of been good but thank goodness Chelsea smashed Bolton 5-1. Lovely goals and excellent viewing from the mid-tier East Stand.
On another matter though, I must say that I was not running out of stamina the night in London it was an "early-ish" finish.
I thought we were kicked out of the pub for being too hip.

Justin Geldof said...

Yes, I must apologies to David. I dont want to wreck his carefully crafted image. He put in a gargantuan effort. All day at the footy and then out with us - very impressive!!