Saturday, April 01, 2006

Australia, Part Three

Okay, another long post. So here is the summary:

  • Week in Uralla with the Family
  • Spent the week catching up with everyone
  • Nan had a birthday
  • Bought a house for Nan and Pop to live in
  • Got lost in Brisbane

After another short flight, we landed in Armidale. Nan, Mum and Zac were there to meet me which was very nice! We then drove to Uralla, dropped of Nan (at her new place which was not very nice), said hello to both grandfathers and headed home. Jacob was there when we arrived so that was good. Dad was out playing golf and would be home later (this is after he left me injured on the ski field if you remember..). Anyway, once he got home we all had dinner and it was great!

The next day (the 24th) was Nan's birthday. Mum got a haircut first at my cousin's house while I entertained her 18 month old daughter. We then headed to Nan's and took her out for lunch (along with Jennefer) to the Top Pub. We then headed home for a quiet afternoon and evening.

The next day the Boys went out to play golf while the rest of us hit the town (and what an exciting town it is). I had a chat to Mum and Dad and we decided that we would look to see if we could buy a place for Nan and Pop to move into. I had some extra money that I wanted to invest and so did Mum and Dad. We asked Jonathan if he wanted to come in on the deal and he was keen as well.

After picking the boys up from golf we had some lunch and then did some searching for some places to look at. There were a couple that seemed alright, but we had to wait until monday to check them out.

That night we headed up to one of my Aunts to say hello and see a couple of my little cousins (once removed if you want to be picky) which was cool. We then headed up to Tanya and Neil's place and got them out of bed for a couple of drinks!

The next day we drove to Inverell where Jacob and Zac were playing in a tournament. Dad did caddy duties for Zac and I did the same for Jacob, while Mum sat in the car reading! It was a bloody hot day (especially for someone use to English weather). But it was nice to be outside and spending time with everyone else. Jacob and Zac both played well which was good. We stayed for some lunch and then for the presentation (which seemed to go on forever) before heading to Armidale to grab some groceries and then home.

That night Tanya, Neil, Cathy and Charlie came over for dinner and some air hockey (Jacob and Zac's christmas present). We were all pretty stuffed from the day in Inverell, but it was nice to see them all. I beat Mum in air hockey, but then Zac beat me!

The rest of the week was spent viewing houses, visiting the bank, catching up with friends and family, eating and drinking. It was nice to be back - although only for a visit. The town had not really changed at all (apart from the powerlines in the main street being moved underground). It was great to see everyone again.

We found a place we liked - a three bedroom flat on Dumaresq Street. It is in a block of three, and Mum and Dad actually lived in one of the other places when they were first married! Anyway, we organised a mortgage with the bank and made an offer! Amazingly (and fortunately for us) it was accepted so we now had a place! It all happened so quick, but it was pretty cool. Nan and Pop were happy to be moving as well (they did not like where they were living).

Thursday I went around and said goodbye to everyone and had lunch with Mum, Nan and three of my aunts (Kim, Michelle and Jenny). We headed up to Tanya and Neil's that night to say goodbye as well (and to be beaten by them in cards). The week seemed to go really quick!

Friday morning Mum, Dad, Jacob and I headed up to Brisbane. My flight was the next day, but we thought it would be easier to leave friday and stay the night. Dad drove till Warwick and then I drove the rest of the way. We had directions on how to get to the hotel, but I missed one of the turns and we ended up in central Brisbane. What a horrible place Brisbane is (well if you are driving anyway). They don't seem to have street signs anywhere! Anyway it took us over an hour to make it back to the hotel, but once we got there it was a nice place!

Jacob, Zac and I went and had a swim in the hotel and then we all headed to the Story Bridge Hotel for a fantastic dinner. It was a great way to spend my last night in Oz!

The next day we walked up to Southbank which was really nice. It was a long walk, but the weather was amazing and there were all these cool lizards along the way. We had some breakfast and walked around the markets before heading back to the hotel for me to get ready.

We headed around to the airport and I checked in without any trouble at all. To be honest I was not really looking forward to the flight (it is such a long way). The three weeks went way to quick as well. I think I needed another three! Anyway, we had a drink and then it was time for me to go through customs and immigration. Brisbane airport has a really cool set up where friends and family can stay upstairs and see you after you go through (much better then Sydney's system). Anyway, I waved goodbye to them all and pretty much jumped on the plane.

Next stop - England (well via Singapore).



My cousin Alyssa


My cousin Brooke


Brooke and Alyssa


Brooke and I


Zac teeing off.


Jacob teeing off


Kath and Tanya playing air hockey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good photos - great times- where are the next ones???

Anonymous said...

hope that all is going well in UK- cheers

Anonymous said...

hey justin its zac ur little bro but you forgot me when we where going to brisbane so add me please :)....




even though you dont love me i still love u :)