Friday, May 05, 2006

My Birthday

So today is my birthday (time for everyone to celebrate!). If I follow the rule that once you turn 21 you get to start counting again, then I have just turned 6!

I decided to take the day off work (no one really likes to work on their birthday do they?). I slept in, talked to family and friends back in Oz (it was really nice to hear from them) and generally took it easy around the house.

I then drove up to Birmingham to spend the weekend with Jules and Peter. They were going to take me out for a fancy dinner and generally feel pity for me turning one year older (it is nice to have great friends like that!).

Anyway, Jules decided to take the afternoon off as well, so once I arrived we headed over to the Gourmet Burger Company for lunch. I have decided they don't really know how to make proper burgers here in the UK. I think it is related to their problem with making sandwiches as well (although the sandwich part is over all of Europe). People here seem afraid to put too many ingredients on a sandwich or a burger. You get strange looks if you ask for more then three items on a sandwich. Its just not cricket! So while lunch was nice, I really do miss Australian style burgers (and it is not just the beetroot!).

We then walked around the city for a bit before heading back to the apartment and taking it easy. Jules and Peter also gave me my birthday presents. They were a plant that cannot be killed (no, it is not a plastic plant) and a learn to sing book (they obviously have not heard me sing properly). I think the book was just in case I make good on my threat to sing at their wedding!

They also took me out for dinner. But it was not just any dinner. We were heading to Jessica's, a Michelin starred restaurant in Birmingham. Being such a fancy place we had to all dress up (but everyone likes to go formal every now and again, right?). We caught a taxi over to the restaurant and had one of the most amazing meals I have ever eaten. I cant remember what I had for starters or dessert, but for my main I had:

Roast Saddle of Lamb with Aubergine tart, Tomato butter, Black Olives, Courgette puree & Cumin roasted Tongue.

It was fantastic! I could see why they had won so many awards!

So feeling full and slightly tipsy we decided to see what the nightlife of Birmingham could offer us. We got dropped off in Broad Street and went to a couple of bars, but it was pretty quiet in the city for a Friday night. In the end we headed back to the apartment and chatted while listening to music and drinking! It was a great way to finish off a really good birthday!


Jules, Peter and I before going out.


Jules after dinner (and a couple of drinks)


Me, feeling happy


Peter - very drunk!

No comments: