Monday, June 13, 2005

Twenty20

Or it's just not cricket.

I only expect two things from Australians. One is to be polite and culturally aware when travelling and the second is to beat England at cricket.

Being a rubbish player myself, I go out of my way to try and be good at the first and leave the cricket to the professionals. So I am sure you can all appreciate my disgust at today's Twenty20 result here in Southampton. England absolutely flogged us (yes, England). I had to hang my head in shame as the English supporters sitting beside me compared Australia to the Bangladeshi team. I mean honestly, how am I supposed to go to work tomorrow?

I just hope it all changes for the ashes, otherwise I think I may have to come home!!



The Rose Bowl


The Australian Team entering the field


More of the Aussies


Lee Bowling


Half time entertainment


Gough Bowling


Ricky talking about how we lost


The England team leaving the field

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin,
This is what the australian military refer to as a false sense of security. First you allow the enemy (England) to thoroughly whip our backsides, enstowing on them the belief that they are better than those convicts, before we show them how true TEST MATCH cricket is played. Bring on the First Test!
Dan

Anonymous said...

Rubbish - England finally get into their stride (long time coming!).

We even have the weather!!!

T x

Justin Geldof said...

I bloody well hope so. Otherwise it is going to be a hell three months at work.

Anonymous said...

On the way out, there was transport chaos as cars and buses and so on were going everywhere. One car was badly reversing into a pack of people and he was jeered, "He drives like an Australian batsman!".

Shameful, shameful.

Interesting crowd though. First real cricket match for me, and everybody is very grown up and calm. Nicely dressed, polite. We should have worn a navy blazer and tie!

Anonymous said...

In all fairness to Australia the 20/20 concept is fundamentally flawed.
Firstly, (wait a moment while I get on soapbox..) it is like playing only the first half of a football match and then declaring a winner. In light of Liverpool's recent triumphs abroad (3 down at half time...do I need to say more?)

Secondly and most importantly, Shane Warne cannot be expected to focus when there are not enough breaks during which to send his SMS.

I'd rather not comment on the Bangladesh situation.