Friday, March 18, 2005

An interesting week

Or the bloody job.

It has been an interesting week to say the least. On Monday I caught the train over to Brighton to try and find somewhere to live. It appeared that finding a one bedroom furnished place would be more difficult then I thought though. After looking through two absolute dumps of places I finally found somewhere. It was a lovely one bedroom apartment in a converted mansion on the sea! The owner was off to France for six months on a contract and was happy to leave everything there (plates, cups etc..) so it would not cost me anything to get set up. I left a £100 holding deposit and left happy!

Early the next morning I got a call from the contract agent (Rachel at Greythorn). In typical government fashion OPRA had miscalculated their budget and did not have the funds to take me on this fiscal year. This was not too much of a problem though because the new fiscal year starts early next month. Rachel suggested I start applying for other jobs and leave this one as a backup in case nothing come up. So I started applying for jobs again.

Then on Wednesday morning I got another call from Rachel to say that they had somehow found some funds from another project and was I still interested in starting. Having already found a place to live in Brighton and no other offers on the table I said yes to Rachel and that was that. They did ask to move my start date from Monday the 21st to Wednesday the 23rd of March which was okay with me but it meant that I had to sign a new contract (which was not a problem).

So I stopped applying for jobs again. Then late Friday afternoon (about 5pm) I get another call from Rachel. It appears that a ban had been placed on hiring contractors and that they could not take me on. So in the one week I lost a job, got it back and then lost it again. Needless to say I was pretty pissed off (Rachel was not taking it well either). So here I am, back to the drawing board (£100 poor because I will lose my holding deposit).

Time to start the job hunt again....



Brighton sea front (with one of the piers)



Brighton sea front with the burnt out pier



Street scene one



Street scene two

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Justin. Don't worry, jobs are like buses. None for ages and then three at once. And then, er... you get thrown off the bus because you paid for a ticket and they take it off you. That doesn't make any sense does it? Doesn't matter, have a look at this cheering picture then!

Ooh, you forgot to point out that the place you put the deposit on in Brighton had a bidet, which seems appropriate for the Brighton market, cough, cough! ;-)