Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Job

Or finally some money...

Well finally I have done it! I got a job. Yesterday I went for an interview in Brighton for a job with the Occupational Pensions Regulatory Authority (OPRA). They are the government agency that looks after peoples superannuation (or pensions as they are called here).

It seems I went alright in the interview cause I got a call today and was offered the job. Needless to say I accepted it pretty much straight away. It is a six month contract and starts on the 21st of March.

For those who are interested the work will be SQL Server based initially (creating DTSs, stored procs, running queries and so forth) and then web development work on a risk management system (which will take input from 100000 pension companies).

It also means I have to move over to Brighton (which is not bad). It is a sea side town in the South West of England and it is a pretty funky town! It has about 200000 people and only 50 mins from London on the train. So over the next week or so I have to find somewhere to live and the like.

One of the requirements for contractors here is they need to set up a limited company (for tax purposes) so I did that today. I am now the managing director of Solixar limited! So now I need to open up bank accounts and the like (which is apparently quite fun here in the UK).

For those who are interested I started looking (and applying for work) on the 14th of Feb and I got offered the job yesterday (the 8th of March) so all up it took about three and a bit weeks. During that time I got heaps of calls and went for two interviews (the other was a phone interview for a telco in Yorkshire). I guess that is something to keep in mind for those who are thinking of moving over here.

No photos today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear Heath has a place in London. Maybe you could move in with him! :)

Justin Geldof said...

Thanks for the idea Michael but I think I will be right! ;-)