Thursday, April 14, 2005

SCT, Part Two

Or 9 to 5, what a way to make a living....

You may remember in a previous post I was complaining about the long walk to work? Well it turns out that SCT run a bus service to and from the city. This cuts the walking time in half which is great!

Anyway, now seems like a good time to talk about what is going on at work. Basically SCT is a company that organises the sending and receiving of shipping containers. So container ships bring (and take away) containers and freight companies use trucks (or Lorries as they say here) to bring them to and from the port.

They have a computer system called VBS (Vehicle Booking System) which allows freight companies to book their lorries in to be services (which involves the loading/unloading of containers) for a particular time of day. That system is being redeveloped which is what I am doing.

The work is quite interesting (and it is money), but it is not in the nicest location. There is no chance to go for a walk at lunch or pop over to the shops, but I guess that means I can leave work earlier.

Well that is about it, I am sure I have bored you all enough.

More soon.

No comments: