Friday, April 22, 2005

The Train

Or the only way to travel...

The plan was to leave work early and catch the 5pm train to London, meet up with Peter and then get on the Eurostar for our trip to Brussels.

Unfortunately I did not get away from work as early as I hoped so I had to run for the bus which, thankfully, was late itself, so I made it to the train station just in time to catch the train to Waterloo.

I met Peter at the station and we joined the long line of people getting on the train. Being a friday night there were plenty of people trying to get to the continent for the weekend.

We finally got on the train which left on time. I am not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but for an extra 18 quid each we were able to travel first class on the train. It was the best 18 quid I have ever spent. For the next two and a half hours we were plied with so much alcohol and food it was not funny. I can definitely recommend this for people planning to travel on Eurostar.

The trip took just over 2.5 hours which most of the journey being at speeds of over 300km/h! It was pretty cool.

Once we arrived at Brussels Midi station we had to walk to our hotel. We had booked into Hotel Ustel, which was just a short walk from the station and 20 minutes from the centre of town. As with most other European hotels the shower was busted and the room was tiny, but it was only a place to sleep so it was fine!

More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we need a bit of a study on this broken shower on the Continent phenomenen - I think every single cheaper hotel must be broken? Stick "broken shower europe" into Google and you'll get thousands of results.